Monday, April 21

Spring has Sprung

In the last couple days, we've managed to leap into spring. The buds on the cherry trees are just starting to open, the city park has pink things everywhere, apparently in preparation for a blossom festival, and spring green is just starting to show itself. So, I've been doing some drive by picture taking of our little town here. I'll take cherry blossom pictures later when they're in full bloom.

This is the city building with large kokeshi dolls outside. I'd like to claim that the angle is me being artistic, but, really, I was taking this picture while driving by.

Sunny days means lots of laundry out to dry. I know some of my American counterparts think it's trashy to hang your laundry on your balcony, but I personally love it. In this picture, you can see the regular laundry plus the large blanket like things which are the futons used for sleeping. Trust me, they're not that comfortable.

It's planting time! Farming is apparently only done by the old and 4 ft tall residents of Misawa. I haven't been able to get a good enough picture to show the peculiar way these women bundle up, but I'll keep trying. I'm not exactly sure what they're growing in this field, but the rows have this plastic framework and is then almost shrink wrapped in plastic. I watched them doing it, but I have no idea what the reason behind it is.
And, finally, a couple pictures of fish flags. I'd thought they were to signify when a son or daughter was visiting, but since I saw 3 separate homes flying them in one week, I'm now thinking it must be for some holiday. Children's day is in a couple weeks, but I doubt they'd celebrate that early.

No comments: