First, watch this.
Funny, right? Now, picture me last night. I was substitute teaching for an English conversational class. The very first assignment I was supposed to lead my students in was making up a story based on pictures. What pictures were they? 4 pictures of a bank robbery in process. Key vocabulary words: balaclava, closed-circuit television, bundles, make a getaway, terrify, threaten, etc. So, apparently it is expected that in order to visit the US, you must know enough English to get yourself out of a mugging and to describe a bank robbery. In case you didn't know, guns are illegal in Japan. So, add that to the equation of how they must think of us and our dangerous country.
As soon as I saw what I had to teach, my mind started playing "take anything you want." Then, one guy actually said, in his story, that "two men robbed the bank". So, I started playing "I was robbed by two men" in my head.
Wednesday, February 20
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is hilarious!
The Japanese are clearly thinking of the British here... how many American robbers actually have the word balaclava in their vocabulary?
How many Americans have balaclava in their vocabulary? But, good point about the British. I also had to teach them what fortnight meant. Definitely a Britishism.
Post a Comment