Thursday, February 21

Going brownish-green

One thing that has bothered me since moving here is the amount of waste at the grocery store on base. So much of the produce is on a styrofoam tray and then wrapped in plastic. If you have cheese cut at the deli, they put it on styrofoam and wrap it in plastic, too. At first, I was hoping to instigate for an overall change. That didn't go anywhere. So, now I'm just making sure I make the best individual choices I can when shopping.

I've asked the deli to not use styrofoam when I had some cheese sliced. So, they threw away the styrofoam on something they pre-wrapped and handed it to me. Yeah, that kind of defeats the point.

The latest to make me smack my head at their efforts to thwart my green-going I didn't even notice until I got home. In order to combat the idea that each bag of chips needs its own plastic grocery bag (that we can't even recycle), I've been bringing my own reusable bag. I thought that would solve the problem. Then, yesterday, I was putting my groceries away, and I noticed that they bagged my groceries in the regular plastic bags and then placed those in my reusable bag. Why, people, why?

3 comments:

annie said...

Ah, the commissary. Yeah, they don't seem big on the green front. Maybe you'll rub off on them eventually!

annie said...

P.S. I tagged you.

Tink1272 said...

OMG. How ridiculous. And you know, no matter how hard you try, they just WILL NOT learn.