Wednesday, March 5

I wish it were Engrish

We have one English language radio station, and it's run by the base. Normally, I can't stand it as it's mostly the same top 20 songs replayed daily with a bit of country and Christian thrown in, so I usually listen to CDs or my fabulous Zen. But, on occasion I listen to the radio.

One announcer has problems with the English language. I wish she were Japanese so I could excuse it. But, no, she's American which is why I feel free to mock with impunity.

There was a week where I heard her do a "this day in history." The first day I listened, it was about "Macaroni." Now, I certainly don't expect everyone to know that he won a Nobel prize, was an accomplished inventor, and is known for receiving the first wireless transmission across the Atlantic, but I do expect people to be able to read the story when the job requires reading things aloud over the air. Practice a couple times during a song. Trust me, you've heard them all before, you won't be missing anything new. Marconi isn't so hard to say. Oh, and he's the father of your profession, so, you know, you might actually have heard of him before.

So, it was with that experience in the back of my mind that I listened the next day, a day on which "Line-don" B. Johnson did something, I can't remember what. So, this person, an American military member, doesn't know how to pronounce the first name of a 20th century wartime president? OK.

So, really, I shouldn't have been surprised today when she announced the next song as the Clash's hit, Rock the Cash Bar.

1 comment:

Tink1272 said...

Ded. Rock the Cash Bar. Good god.