I'm starting with my new favorite food, a modified Caesar dressing. I'd be happy eating it by the spoonful, and I don't even really like a lot of dressing. I found the recipe on Epicurious, as I almost always do. My comments and modifications are italicized.
Ingredients
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons mayonnaise I've also used plain vanilla yogurt which worked just fine
1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger The pre-minced stuff in the jar worked for me. I hate dealing with fresh ginger.
1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)
2 garlic cloves, peeled or, you know, more because more is often better
2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce I didn't have any so I added chipotle powder to taste
1/2 cup vegetable oil I've used the full amount and half amount, and I couldn't tell the difference. I'd like to cut it out entirely, but I can't think of a good substitution to thicken the dressing properly. Maybe I'll try some silken tofu next.
1 large head of romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (I use baby spinach since our lettuce is usually just eh)
1 cup (packed) grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
Heat heavy small skillet over medium-low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir until toasted and golden, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
Combine lime juice and next 7 ingredients in processor; process until well blended. With processor running, add vegetable oil in slow stream; process until slightly thickened. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Place lettuce in large bowl. Add dressing and 3/4 cup Parmesan; toss to combine or add the parm to the food processor after making the oil so that you don't have to clean the grater, too. Divide salad among plates; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and toasted sesame seeds. I also topped with sauteed shrimp for Justin and soy nuts for me, homemade croƻtons, and red pepper. Delicious.

PS our plates are huge. That is a full meal portion in the picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment